Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Urgent Call for Book Ideas

Dear Friends,
I am in need of your ideas and suggestions. I need a couple new audio books to download to my iPod and I do not yet have any sure ideas. This is a tough thing, because I am kind of picky when it comes to books.
I am not in the mood for a drama or biography. I am in need of a witty and charming book. Here are some ideas of books and authors I have recently enjoyed along these same lines:
Jane Austen
The Princess Bride
Harry Potter Series
Oscar Wilde
Mark Twain
Be forewarned: there are certain characteristics of pop lit which I do not tolerate. I do not think an author is being creative by experimenting with insertion of the F bomb in every grammatical form possible.
Here are some books and authors which I do NOT like:
Twilight Series
Nicholas Sparks
I apologize if I have offended you lovers of Edward the Vampire.
Also, this may or may not be unrelated: I love anything preppy or with polka dots or pearls.
With this information, I am petitioning for your help. Do you have any ideas for me?
Book lustingly yours,
Miss Amy

6 comments:

  1. Well, have you read The History of Love yet??

    Also, these are sort of olden-time books that are very, very good.

    •Precious Bane - Mary Webb

    •Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving E.B. White's One Man's Meat. Beautiful essays from his years living on a farm in the late 30's/early 40's. Seems like a perfect audiobook pick.

    (Also, looking forward to seeing you at Cadence's wedding!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy! I found your blog a while ago and have decided now is a good time to come out and say something.

    I think you might like Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke. Let me know if you read it and like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cold Comfort Farm, by Stella Gibbons. Jane Austen for the 20th century, extra heavy on the satire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister is raving about the Book Thief. I haven't read it yet, so it may fall under the "drama" category, but I'm not sure. But it's next up on my to-read list. I forget - Have you joined goodreads.com? It's so helpful in coming up with ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have any recommendations for books, only a recommendation for a website for audio books:

    www.librivox.org

    Pretty much you can get any classic book here...for free (and it is LEGAL). Anyway, I love the site and have used it often. Enjoy...

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed my blog. I hungry.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...