Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Our Town


"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it?--every, every minute?"

Library Junkie update:
I checked out the Masterpiece Theatre Our Town and watched it today. WOW. This was my first experience with the play; it had been on my "To See" list for several years. I am not able to eloquently express how moved I was, so instead I will write in my raw and clumsy voice.

Captured. Wilder captured me (the audience). He captures so many ideas and feelings I have been having, feelings I myself have been unable to tie down to words or concrete ideas. Wilder captures reality, ironically through the artificiality of theatre. He captures elusive, fleeting Moments of Meaning. Finally, Wilder captures truth which transcends mortality; he captures a glimpse of eternal perspective.

Thank you, Mr. Wilder. Mr. and Mrs. Webb and Gibbs, you have helped me to more fully appreciate my parents, especially our tender moments together. Emily and George, your story is now woven into my understanding of life.

5 comments:

  1. Probably my favorite play--ever. So glad you liked it. NOT so glad you have terrible nausea. Hang in there, Amos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Wilder is moving... he especially moved me in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. Oh that Willy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. Plays like Our Town remind me why I love theatre.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad I stumbled across your blog. Our town is one of my favorite plays ever, and I've never seen it (I just read on the recommendation of an actress friend while I was getting my degree in theatre education). Made me cry just reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard good things about the current production of "Our Town" in Salt Lake. March 12th through 27th in the Simmons Pioneer Memorial Theatre. (801) 581-6961 or PioneerTheatre.org.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed my blog. I hungry.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...