Thursday, May 19, 2011

Lucky birds

You will not believe the ornithological delights I encountered today. I hope the visits of all kinds of birds is a good omen.

Lucky birds I saw today in the backyard:

  • Three male Lazuli Buntings (Before today, I have only ever seen one at a time.)
  • Two Grosbeaks
  • A Rufous-sided Towhee
  • A pair of mourning doves who gave kisses to each other while wagging their tails
  • My white dove
  • A robin on her nest
Other birds I saw today (the usuals):
  • Sparrows
  • Black-capped chickadees
  • Blue Jays
  • Magpies
  • Starlings
  • Robins
  • Buffy, my chicken

The story of my white dove:
We found a white dove in the backyard. She had a hurt wing, so we were able to catch her. I put her in Buffy's pen for a week and fed her seeds and fruit. I talked to her and held her everyday. I thought we were bonding. A week later, I made up a more permanent home for the dove, but as I was moving her, she hopped off. When I tried to catch her, she kind-of flew off with one wing. I was really sad when I wasn't able to catch her. She sat all day on the porch roof looking at me in a mocking way (she had climbed up there since she could not fly very well). 
The next day we saw Dovey on our driveway, looking for stray seeds. Everyday since then, she has been back. She spends a lot of time on the porch roof just watching us. I leave seeds out on the porch in little piles where she can get to them. I worry about where she stays at night - I hope she is safe. During the daytime, I love her visits.

1 comment:

  1. such a cute story about the dove! you are so good with animals! i hope you keep seeing lots of birds, i'm sure it is lucky.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed my blog. I hungry.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...