Tuesday, November 1, 2011

(Virtual) death by dysentery


November 1st means Christmastime is coming soon. That's why I un-grounded myself from surfing Amazon.com. I have already gotten myself into trouble by suddenly needing things I previously did not know existed. Today's most exciting find: Oregon Trail for Wii, released yesterday.

Remember how excited I was when I bought Oregon Trail for my iPhone? Just imagine my enthusiasm now!

My dad was a big supporter of The Learning Company, and I played those games even when my education surpassed the levels offered by the various games. My younger sister and I often played together, making up rules to turn a one-player game into a two-player game. Some of our love for Oregon Trail and the likes stem from the fact that we didn't have any video games, but some of my addiction came from feeling smart every time I played. So while our friends played Mario Bros., we were finding Carmen Sandiego and dying of dysentery.

Here are some of The Learning Company games I remember playing:
Reader Rabbit
Treasure Mathstorm!
Treasure Mountain!
Gizmos and Gadgets
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?
Where in the USA is Carmen Sandiego?
Operation Neptune
Spellbound!
OutNumbered!

Just thinking about these games brings back feelings similar to the childhood joy of Christmas morning!
ACME Detective Agency needs you in Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?

A scene from Treasure Mountain!

Solve a math problem in Treasure Mathstorm!



1 comment:

  1. I loved those games! I rocked at Treasure Mountain and I love love loved Oregon Trail! Good times...

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed my blog. I hungry.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...