Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Worried chicken momma

Almost two weeks ago, I was getting ready to leave the house but I couldn't find my chicken, Buffy. I usually put her in her house at nights and when I am away, not because she wanders off, but to protect her from intruding dogs, foxes, cats, raccoon and other potentially dangerous creatures.

Buffy is a very friendly bird and she knows I am her chicken momma. She runs when I call for her, and follows me around. She pecks at the back door until I will play with her. If she even hears someone open the back door, she'll come running on her skinny, wide-set chicken legs. She is very friendly to all creatures, and she wouldn't know to run if a large dog came after her.

In fact, this summer, I was eating in the breakfast nook when I saw a large black dog charging across the patio.  As I ran out the door, I heard Buffy squawking. When I reached the strange dog, it had Buffy in its jaws. I rescued Buffy but did not catch the mean dog. Buffy lost all her feathers around her neck, but was otherwise unharmed.

The other day when I could not find Buffy, I was worried that the same dog may have gotten Buffy for good. I had a weird feeling that I needed to find her, but she was nowhere to be found, so I went on my way to the airport.

When I came home several hours later, I found Buffy in her house. She was badly injured. She had a puncture wound under her right wing and a puncture wound in her right side. Here I am holding her that night:

For days, Buffy barely moved and didn't talk. She has started eating again, but today she looks really bad.


Look how swollen her eyes and waddle are! I am so worried about little Buffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments feed my blog. I hungry.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...