Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Hungry bear

Shortly after my November 13th post, I wound up back in the hospital - Johns Hopkins in B'more - this time for a week. My troublesome feeding tube was acting up again. I had surgery to have it removed. Now instead of being fed though a tube that goes into my small intestine, I get fed through a tube that goes into my heart. It is called total parenteral nutrition, or TPN.

In order to let my pancreas rest, I am not allowed to have any food and I have a new restriction: No liquids either! What a horrible form of torture. Since I don't have anything going through my stomach or intestines, the hunger is worse than ever. To make things worse, my mouth and throat are very dry from not being able to have liquids, sometimes making me hoarse.

On the bright side, my sister Julie came out to help with my hospital stay and the difficult transition home. I was discharged just in time to spend Thanksgiving at home with Ryan and Julie. The days since have been extremely difficult, trying to manage pain and nausea.


Trying to smile before my procedure. I was nervous.

They placed the new line in my hospital room.

Julie did an excellent job preparing a Thanksgiving feast for her and Ryan to enjoy.
The table set and ready to go.

Ryan carved the turkey

Rhino provided moral support.

Thanksgiving pic with the three of us

Ryan and I were so glad to be together for the holiday.


2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you were back in the hospital. Glad you could be with the hubs and your sis for Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want you to know I've been thinking a lot about you lately and that I love you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed my blog. I hungry.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...