Sunday, December 23, 2012

Christmas Miracles

I'm home from a fifteen day stay at the hospital.  But you were just in the hospital, you ask. Yes, it was two long stays in a row. Horrible. I didn't think I was going to get out of there alive.

I've been at Johns Hopkins hospital so much this year that I think I have earned enough frequent flyer miles to take a cruise. (I wish!)

I contracted C. Diff, or Clostridium difficile, during one of my previous hospital stays. It is an infection people with weakened immune systems get while in the hospital. There are different ways a person can contract the infection, but I probably got it during one of my past abdominal surgeries. I was horribly ill for several weeks on top of the other pancreatitis stuff I have going on. 

At the hospital I received IV antibiotics and continued on the TPN (Total Parenteral Nutrition - this means I don't eat anything by mouth and I get nutrition through my veins). I was on infection precautions which meant anyone who came into my room had to gear up in something like a hazmat suit. I'm toxic!


I know it is a miracle that I survived this. I know the miracle came through the faith of many family members and friends who have been praying for me. Even people I have never met have been praying for me. I cannot tell you how much your support means to me.

Another miracle is that I was well enough to be released from the hospital in time to spend Christmas at home with Ryan. What a blessing! These are just two of the miracles I have witnessed in the past few weeks.

A nurse come to our apartment two days a week. I'm still on TPN, but I am starting to enjoy clear liquids like Italian Ice and broth. I even had wassail today! 

I'm so glad to be home! Ryan has been an All-Star husband through all of this. I am so grateful for him!

Here are some pictures from the past weeks.

Ryan's birthday cake and ice cream

We celebrated Ryan's birthday in my hospital room.
Happy birthday, babe!
Visits from Ryan were the best part of my day.

Trying to stay positive, I decorated my room.

My festive decorations included Christmas cards from friends.

After discharge, we stopped by one of the Hopkins Christmas trees.



1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas!! It was a Christmas miracle that you finally were able to get over the C-diff and come home for Christmas!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed my blog. I hungry.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...