Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Prayer texting-tree

My hospital room did not have a TV, but it did have this lovely mural. Made me really wish I could go on a cruise.

I was having such a great time walking on the wooded trails in the area, exploring, taking pictures, enjoying the fall weather. Then I developed bronchitis. Then pneumonia, which on its own can be pretty bad. But with me, any illness can cause my pancreatitis to flare up. That turns mere pneumonia into a much more complicated illness. I spent a few days in the hospital.

The night before I finally got desperate enough to go to the H-place, I was alone on the floor of my living room. I was in agonizing pain and had vomited my medications. Ten on the pain scale. Like being stabbed in the abdomen with a sword, going all the way through my back. 

Flash back to about a year ago. I was in a similar situation, with added emotional despair from the chronic nature of the pain. (Last year was really bad.) I suddenly had a thought occur to me: What if all my family took just one minute to pray for me right now? What if they all combined their faith in my behalf at the same time?

I texted my family with the idea. This is probably a good time for me to acknowledge that prayer means different things to different people, and I'm okay with that. I don't believe that a prayer has less power if it happens in a different form than I use. 

So my family all prayed for me and I felt some release from the pain. But more importantly, I felt like God was with me. A song came into my mind, a song which I learned in high school and hadn't really thought of since then: In This Very Room, by Ron and Carol Harris. That song was a sign from God to me. "Jesus, Lord Jesus, is in this very room." I sang the entire song in my head. All the lyrics were brought to my memory, lyrics which I had forgotten about for over a decade. I felt immense peace that God was with me and that he knew of my suffering. I feel I was blessed with this experience because of the prayers my family offered in my behalf that afternoon.

Fast forward to last week's pain attack. I had tried just about everything I could think of to find pain relief. Then I remembered my prayer plan from the year before. I sent a text to as many family and friends as I could, which was much more difficult than I had anticipated because of the amount of pain I was in. 

Almost immediately, I had one perfect surprise. Ryan walked in the door. He had been able to leave work to be with me and take me to the hospital. We were able to get my pain down a little bit and I even slept for a few hours. 

I really believe in the power of prayer, and more specifically, the power of combining faith in behalf of someone in need. I wouldn't still be alive if it weren't for the prayers others have offered in my behalf. I will never be able to express how much it means to me. Thank you to all who have sent prayers, faith, thoughts and positive energy my way. 

2 comments:

  1. I love you and your faith. Your faith strengthens mine. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story resonates with me. I'm am buoyed up by your beautiful faith.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments feed my blog. I hungry.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...